What To Do
- First, you have to remove the edges that have rotted , and, instead, place some cleats.
- Carefully remove the rotten wood from the joints. The joints of the frame must be kept well preserved.
- The joints , which have been widened until you reach the healthy wood, you must repair them with putty and the parts that were healthy paste them again.
- Also, remove the dried putty and paint residue, and then apply protective paint to the frame parts and crossbars.
- The crystals have to be sealed with a putty of linseed oil . The surface of the putty assembly should be allowed to dry before applying a lacquer.
Damage To The Garrisons?
We could say that the fittings of the old windows are almost always very stable. Even so, the most common fault is that the screws that fix the trim to the wood are removed.
- The first thing to do is to remove the screws and all the traces of lacquer and metal from the wood. The simple solution of placing longer and thicker screws is not always enough .
- If the holes of the screws have already been given, they have to be filled with wooden blocks (which you must then carefully saw and sanding) or mastic, after having cleaned them with the drill.
- The bearings will have to place them displaced of their original position, in the wood not damaged.
The Water Leg
This is called the anterior corner of the horizontal stem of the window frame. Well, this part is often damaged because of, for example, the rain. When it rains, water strikes against it, runs down the leg down and penetrates between the wood and masonry, especially if the joints are not tight enough.
Normally the wood begins to rot on the bottom or on the side joints with the walls. Being areas that are not very visible, the destruction takes time to observe, so it is possible that you see the need to change the whole piece. Do this:
- With a saw of points or circles , separate the leg from the frame.
- Clean the edges with a chisel.
- Cut and brush a new leg, of the same size as the old one.
- Place it in the same position, thoroughly sanding the surface and applying waterproof glue or repair putty.
- After it has dried, cover all slits with closing glue. The dough must have a permanent elasticity and allow it to be painted on it.
If you need more information feel free to get in touch with us at http://replacementwindowspeoria.com